Powerful thoughts.

“A man is but the product of his thoughts.

What he thinks, he becomes” – Gandhi

I’ve been thinking a lot about personal frame of mind and how that really shapes how your day turns out 98% of the time. The other 2% being those really uncontrollable things like Woolies running out of your favourite chocolate covered sultanas etc etc which of course will just make you lose your shit. Ha ha. Joking. Although I was a little miffed.

Anyway back on track;

You need to really tune your mind though, you need to make a decision at the time something happens that isn’t generally amazing and then you need to make the conscious decision to go “No, I will not let this negative ruin my day, I will instead realise I cannot do anything to change it and I will be content in that.

I’ve really noticed the now nearly automatic change in my mind set, which has gone from “ohmygodhelpmenow this is a complete MESS” to “Well, can I really CHANGE whats happening right now? Can I really control what just happened” And the reality is, well no. A lot of the time its about rolling with the punches, its about realising that you can’t always change what’s happening, but you can change how you react to it, and then how that reaction will most definitely change the course of your day.

I’ve been practicing this for quite a few months now and I can 100% see the change in myself and in turn the changes in some of those around me daily. And I can’t explain to you how wonderful it is to be so Zen about situations. Its quite powerful as well, to know that just with a change of thought you can really pep yourself up.

I have been so much more relaxed and so much better prepared to be able to deal with some massive things at work, i.e. projects going live and failing and other things that the old me would have lost her mind at, but the new mind set me, just goes “Okay, that’s really rather crap BUT what can we now do to sort it out” Instead of hanging onto the “oh frikin heck, life is over” kind of attitude.

I guess you could say I’ve found some sort of inner piece, a calmness that I haven’t had for a long time as an adult.

Don’t get me wrong, every day and every situation, I’m not going to guarantee I will be keeping Cool Calm and Collected,  however, stopping to think before letting some crazy emotion take over is something that I am and will try to do with everything that fronts itself.

All of the above and just having a more open frame of mind in general have made me decide I want to attend a weekend retreat at a meditation centre here in Melbourne. I have read about them thoroughly, and although I don’t see myself conforming to Buddhism as a whole, I just really like the thought of their practices.

I find the following pretty cool non the less:

About Buddhism – Atisha (11th century Tibetan Buddhist master)

The greatest achievement is selflessness.
The greatest worth is self-mastery.
The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
The greatest precept is continual awareness.
The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
The greatest patience is humility.
The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances.

Some of the above points really make me think, and I feel that I could really enjoy learning more about this religion.

So the retreats are held over a weekend, starting on the Friday evening and ending with lunch on Sunday. There is meditation, teaching, free time in the gardens, vegetarian food, quiet, just simple peace and quiet. Sounds amazing doesn’t it ? I’m looking at attending in the next few months, they only have a few on.

If anything, I am just hoping to come back with a bit of a clear mind and maybe, if I’m lucky, some practices in finding this clear mind on a cloudy, hectic, busy day. I can’t wait to tell you all about it !

Have you ever been away on a retreat like the above ? Do other religions interest you?

Linking in with Jess for the ever wonderful IBOT, check out some rock stars over there !

Photo credit.

Advertisements